Evie’s Birth Story

by Mexigarian on April 16, 2015

It’s been a while since I posted. As per usual. You know how it is, you get busy with one thing or another, promising yourself to sit down and blog, carve out that special time. As I have discovered, it’s kind of hard to do now a days. Why? Well, I’m either 45+ weeks pregnant now or I gave birth over a month ago. The latter definitely happened.


I see the last time I posted I was 35 weeks pregnant. And then bloop, I fell off the face of the blogging universe. Long story short on the last portion of my pregnancy:

Everything was going fine and dandy until I went in for my 35 week appt and found out baby was breech AND I had low amniotic fluid. Danger zone is 5. I was sliding down into the 6’s. I was put on modified bed rest (I could still do job interviews, yoga etc) as long as I didn’t over exert myself but increase the level of fluid. I drank 200+ ounces a day for the remainder of my pregnancy.


Following week, my fluid levels had increased but baby still breech and I was beginning to show signs of early stages of gestational hypertension. My doctor had me monitor my BP for a while, and during that time I had prenatal chiropractor work done to help turn the baby (I also did spinning babies techniques, inversions, and moxibustion). By week 38 I was on strict bedrest (high blood pressure that would spike whenever I was on my feet) so no more exercise or inversions. At my 38 week appt, my doctor told me she wanted the baby out as soon as I hit the 39 week mark.

Luckily, baby was doing great on the non stress tests but my body was not dealing with the final leg of the pregnancy all too well. In order to get me better she wanted the baby out. I was against a c section, but it looked like I wouldn’t have a choice if baby was still breech and if the attempt to turn her externally failed. Final ultrasound check showed good fluid levels and a head down baby!

I was set to be induced March 9. Low and behold the original due date of my little girl.

I was hoping to avoid being induced and had been having early labor signs for a while, period like cramping, lower back ache and was doing what I could to help encourage my body to progress (bouncing on ball, eating pineapple and spicy food, etc), which was hard to do because my blood pressure would rise, my head would pound and I’d get dizzy anytime I wasn’t sitting or lying down.

I thought for sure things were raring to go Thursday night as the cramping (I thought were contractions) had gotten stronger, buuuuut by Friday morning they had mellowed out so nope. It wasn’t until Sunday night that things felt differently. The cramps returned and they were getting harder and lasting longer. I went to the rest room around midnight and noticed the bloody show/mucous plug loss. It didn’t mean I was going to go into full labor anytime soon, but I knew my body was at least heading in the right direction. At 3:30 am we got the phone call from the hospital to come in for inducement. Yes, you read that right 3:30 am.

I showered, quickly ate a small breakfast and off Eric and I went. The car ride over was fine, though the cramps were intensifying to something more than I had ever felt before. I felt pretty good though and walked into labor and delivery to settle into our room. I was immediately started on Pitocin and IV fluids and hooked up to the monitors. I could walk around if I wanted and even got to roll around on a birthing ball, but for the most part I laid in bed resting and focusing on breathing through the contractions.

Eric’s mom arrived at the hospital and we chit chatted a little before she went to the waiting area to chill and let me relax. My parents arrived soon after and came in and out of the room throughout the day.

For the first half of the labor I felt strong managed through the contractions, but come noon, my blood pressure was flaring high again and by 2 I knew I needed the epidural. Neither Eric nor my nurses told me to get it. They knew I wanted to go as long as I could with out it and never pressured me. It was my decision to make, knowing that it would help ease my pain and lower my BP. When I gave the word, my nurse practically tackled the anesthesiologist for me. I was crying when they prepped me for the epidural, not from the pain, but more from the mental weakness I felt. I have nothing against anyone who choses epidurals, but for me, in that moment, for my own mental being, I felt defeated and weak. I was frustrated that my body wouldn’t let me be well and just delivery without medications, so I cried out my anger and disappointment in myself during those moments. Soon after, once the epidural kicked in, I felt better and knew I made the right choice. My choice. I could still move my legs, but didn’t dare try to walk, but managed to roll around in bed without help.

Soon after, my nurse said she was going to check me and as she approached, my water broke with a loud pop! It was funny how loud it was, like a party popper on New Years. My nurse checked me and I was 5 cm dilated. She told me to get some rest, but to call them if I felt any lower body pressure. I tried to finish watching Monsters University but dozed off for a bit. The new nurse shift came in, along with a student to help and observe (I said okay for her to stay for the birth if it happened within their shift), to make sure my monitors were working properly and I asked for one more hour for rest.

Less than an hour later I paged the nurse saying I felt pressure. The nurse went to check and then gave me a look/smile and said “I believe I see the head.”

Why hello. Really? You sure?

She checked again and confirmed it was the head. She paged for my OB and asked me to do a practice push. I did and she immediately told me to stop because baby was ready to come. It was amazing to see how fast things got put in motion. Within minutes, the room was prepped, Eric had called my parents (they had gone home earlier) and ran out to his mother and brother to let them know and my OB arrived. They asked if I wanted a mirror and I was like ‘sure, what the hell’.  I did several more practice pushes until my OB told me to really get going and I did. I had to remind myself to breathe as I tucked my head and tried to watch at the same time. It was surreal.

She began her way into the world. Eric stayed by my side and my doctor told me to stop once again, to slow me down because she didn’t want me to tear (I eventually did, 1 degree, but nothing major) She gave the go ahead again and soon after felt the pressure that had knotted up in the front of my body, release  and I heard someone say “her eyes are wide open!” and she was out.

I has asked for immediate skin to skin but they couldn’t bring her to my chest because the chord was too short. We waited a few minutes until the chord slowed its pulse and Eric cut it. Only then she was placed on my chest. She laid there while my OB stitched me up and the placenta was delivered and the main nurse checked Evangeline out while she laid on me. I couldn’t see her face, her head was tucked up high under my chin, and asked Eric to take a picture of her so I can see her. He showed me and I saw her big beautiful blue eyes and I was lost.


Evangeline was born 6:54pm March 9 2015 weight 7lbs 7 ounces and 20.5 inches long.

I was flying high afterwards. We got to do skin to skin for a while, she nursed a little and she got an 8 and then a 9 on her APGAR score. Soon after little Evie was taken to the table at the end of my bed to be looked over more for weight, height, etc. with Eric by her side the entire time. He eventually called the family in. My Dad said hello to her and stood by my side as the grandma’s got to meet her. They stayed for maybe 20 minutes and left before I was transferred to recovery room.


My daughters birth didn’t go exactly has I had envisioned during pregnancy. I had been dreaming of a medication free, no interventions labor. It didn’t happen that way, and I’m okay with it. The end game is to deliver a happy and healthy baby and that’s what happened. My experience with the labor was very positive and taught me many things about letting go, accepting situations and working through them. It was such an eye opening process, one I am extremely grateful for being able to do. We got our child and love her to bits. It’s insane how much so.

{ 4 comments… read them below or add one }

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) April 16, 2015 at 10:26 pm

Such a great birth story. I know it didn’t go as you planned but it sounds like it went as well as it could have! You did great, Sonia. Thanks for sharing! Congrats on your little Evie!


Thu April 17, 2015 at 8:36 pm

Yeah, Jolie’s birth didn’t go how I expected either. But, we both got beautiful children out of it, and that’s the important part 🙂

Congratulations! I can’t wait to meet Evie sometime! Please let me know if you need any help or anything – I’m nearby too!


Jane April 18, 2015 at 1:55 am

Oh my goodness I am all teary. CONGRATULATIONS! So happy for you and your family.


erin May 16, 2015 at 11:21 am

So awesome!! Totally cried while reading this. I’m sorry the last but of your pregnancy was rough, but I’m so glad you and baby are all healthy now. What a little miracle 🙂 congrats mama, and welcome to the world to your little one!


Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: