A marathon of emotions

by Mexigarian on December 11, 2013

The post got scary long so I broke it up into two different posts. Re actual race recap will be posted later today Smile


Sunday December 8th was marathon day. It has been several days since and I am still trying to gather my thoughts and emotions of the day and editing them down to a decent post. It’s hard to find the words that will do justice to what I felt from the beginning to end.

But I can assure you that I am now an official finisher of a marathon. I crossed the line. I accomplished my main goal. I succeeded. As for my other goals…. sub 5… maybe a 4:30 . . . well, I managed those too.

Even with the insane frigidness of the race, I felt wonderful throughout. I walked quite a bit, so I guess that’s why I felt pretty good, haha, but this wasn’t a race where I was going to push myself to point of injury. I wanted my first marathon to be enjoyed, soaked up, and relived over and over again in my mind without regrets.

Hardly any regrets. Sure I could have pushed some more, but it is what it is. I am beyond happy with my marathon finish. And definitely look forward towards the next one.

I’ll start with Saturday.


I got up and got in my shakeout run. I did 1.5 miles in 16 minutes or so and my legs felt HEAVY. It was also very, very cold out there. I didn’t even bother to get into my normal running clothes. Just sweats and a sweatshirt and I moseyed along the frigid neighborhood wondering how the hell my lead legs were going to carry me across 26.2 miles.

I got home, stretched, hamstring was a talking grrr, and waited for my my parents and little sister to pick me up. They ran late because the car battery died and they had to unpack and reload in another car.

We made it to Sacramento just fine though and wandered around the Expo.

The Expo

Very well organized. Bib pick up was a breeze. They directed me to the next stop, scanning the chip and they then showed me to the shirt pick up. Then I was released to explore and meet up with other bloggers like Rachel and Brian. They too ran CIM, and I’m looking forward to reading their recaps. I’ll let them tell you how they did Smile


My family joined me at the Expo. My Dad and I sat and listened to speakers about the course. It was informative, but it didn’t do much to calm my nerves, My mom got a air of running shoes (for walking) from the Asics booth guy and he was very friendly and gave me some more info on shoe life. The family sampled what the could and picked up future race post cards, asking which one I was doing next. Haha.

Saturday evening

We made it to the hotel in Folsom, unpacked and then hit up Mimi’s for late lunch early dinner. I pretty much ate the entire bread basket of delicious pumpkin bread and other white goodies. I have the Croq a Vin and lots of water and lemonade. I only ate half my dinner. We quickly went to Sports Authority to pick up some gloves since I forgot my throw aways at work and forgot to buy a pair at the Expo.


Soon enough we were back at the hotel. I got my gear laid out, talked over my clothing attire with Victoria, made my decision and then stretched and foam rolled. I iced bath soon after and said goodnight the the family. I was in bed by 7 and asleep by 8:30.

Race Day attire:

Brooks jacket, Brooks Gylcerin, Oiselle shorts, Oiselle run top, Oiselle arm sleeves, ProCompression St Patricks Day socks (didn’t get my Christmas ones in time), knee sleeves, Nike gloves, visor, bunny ears, unneeded sunglasses, and sportsbra from RoadRunner Sports and Nathan Hydration Vest with my Nuun fill bag.

Fueling: 2-3 Honey Stingers and Cliff shot block chews +2 Honeystinger gels

Sunday Morning

It was a rough night of sleep (as I figured it’d be) and it was quite noisy for a hotel full of runners. Some really loud people in the hallway and outside in the parking lot. I woke up at 1:50 to one of the rowdy groups and couldn’t get back to sleep. I eventually crawled out of bed at 2:50 and got to work on stretching rolling and getting myself ready.

I grabbed to provided breakfast downstairs (brown bag of a bagel, jam, apple, granola bar, cream cheese and peanut butter) and smeared my almond butter on the bagel, slowly eating and hydrating up until 4:30 when I woke my sister up to Rock tape my left hamstring. I popped by my parents who wished me luck and off downstairs I went to wait for the bus. It was soooo cold outside there was actual snow on top of our buses when we went out.

Bus time

I got to sit by  Alisa(?), a very nice girl from the Sacramento area. She was running CIM as her fist marathon too, as were a LOT of the people around us. I saw my Dad walk by the buses, looking for me but he didn’t see me even when we knocked on the window to get his attention. He watched as we drove off at 5:20.

We were the second bus to the start line and parked right in front of the corrals and Pace Group sign 4:40. Perfect. Luckily we were allowed to stay on the bus until start and got off intermittently to make use of the porta potties. On one of these trips, Brian spotted me and we wished each other luck once again. Time ticked down and people came and went on the bus and we all continued to talk, voicing our concerns, our goals, and our hopes. Soon enough it was time to enter the masses gathering at the start line.


I wished those still on the bus a good race, a fun run and off I went into the cold morning. I kept an eye out for Rachel and her friends (bright peach colored hats and clothes) but I couldn’t spot them. I positioned myself behind the 4:40 pacer and talked to myself to keep my nerves from boiling over. I reminded myself, that whatever the outcome of the race, as long as I finished, no matter how long it took, I was going to be a marathoner. I told myself to run smart, run the tangents, stick by the pacer as long as I could and not over do it.

Soon enough, the mass of people around me started forward and an weird sense of calm and focus came over me.  (For those that know me, they know that this is very unlike me). I had a strange sense that everything was going to be okay.

I hit the start on my RunKeeper app on my phone as soon as we crossed the start line. I hit the start on my Garmin immediately after.

I began my marathon. . . .

{ 4 comments… read them below or add one }

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } December 11, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Eeek! That’s so exciting :D I can’t wait to read the race recap. Are you experiencing the post-marathon glow (like I did?) or the post-marathon blues (like my friends did?)


Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health December 11, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Can’t wait to hear how it went Sonia! You looked so cute in your race day outfit. :)


Paulette December 13, 2013 at 1:02 am

We must have finished SO close together! Can’t wait to read the rest! The 4:40 pacer is awesome, I ran with her last year and saw her at the expo this year.


Mexigarian January 7, 2014 at 7:15 pm

I read your post! You finished just a minute or so ahead of me! Wish I could have ran faster to meet you! lol. next time :)


Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: